About this project
Show list of needs
Light truck with a 4.80 x 2.30 x 2.30 meters box to be transformed into a workroom.
Material needed for processing milk: 150lt. inox iron double boiler, press, inox iron working table. All the material will be second hand.
Insulating sanitary panel
Sanitary panels and insulating material to cover up the truck’s interior walls, ceiling, windows and doors, according to health regulations.
Solar panels and bateries.
Plumbing material to supply the workroom with water.
Purification system construction material
Material needed for the construction of the biological purification system.
Milk storage tank.
150lt capacity inox iron storage tank.
Cableado, terminales, bombetas.
Biological purification system
Biological purification system for the creamery’s gray water that includes the project, construction management and legalization.
Legalization on the purification system
Análisis y gestión del proyecto de la depuradora por parte de terceros para su legalización.
|Total||$ 11,406||$ 17,565|
We are, since 2015, an active farming family who is herding a flock of Latxa sheep within a natural environment situated between the Montseny Mountains and Les Guilleries (1.000 meters over sea-level). We work in an organic and sustainable way and the rhythm of our work is marked by the animal’s life cycle and conditioned by the seasons of the year and its impact on food availability.
All the buildings (stable, tents for material and accommodation for volunteers) are functional and can be taken apart, moved and eventually reused without leaving footprints on the previous location.
Main features and goals of the crowdfunding campaign
Our farm is the excuse to live the way we chose: in an organic and sustainable way, with social conscience and defending our natural environment.
The herd is the center of all our activities. They are sheep that life a sheep life. Since their vital cycle is tied to the season’s natural passage, all matters connected with their well-being depend on the environment and our accurate intervention as shepherds.
This campaign’s goal is the piece that firms up the work we are already carrying out on our farm: creating an artisanal dairy with reduced environmental impact.
• Proposing a versatile and low cost workroom, sticking to the current health regulations. A dairy integrated in the environment, energy-saving and that can be moved.
• Working in closed circuit, controlling every aspect involved in the food production (from the forage that feeds the animals to the commercialization of the food resulting from the milks transformation).
• Working with high sanitary and nutritional quality raw milk, so as to offer safe, beneficial, unique and land-representative food.
• Defending small scale farming as a necessary model for the land’s sustainable management.
• Prioritizing the herd’s welfare: animals that live according to their nature, in good health, well-nourished and in the accurate conditions according to their needs.
• Working with common-sense postulating the triad human being – animal – nature as the only possible symbiosis for the project.
• Promoting a meeting space for the exchange of experiences.
• Being good communicators of small-scale food productions. Emphasizing the exhaustive control and the high responsibility that producers like us have over their whole food production chain.
• Being a mirror for young people interested in farming: this is a viable job that gives is pleasure above the sacrifices it demands.
Why this is important
This project’s primal motivation was curiosity: wanting to find out what the next learning in relation to animals, nature, nourishing, territory and their special features would be. And so, we ventured into making real a Basque sheep milk herd in the Catalan woodlands.
The project’s target group is, in first instance, everyone that from his geo-spot holds and defends small scale food production models. We are talking about a project that has a direct impact on the area that surrounds it in an immediate way, but that also is, in the end, another node in the ideal food model that we are knitting together along with other enthusiasts.
The mobile dairy construction is of a matter regional interest since they are no precedents of a workroom with such characteristics: mobile, versatile, according to health regulations, with reduced environmental impact and built in a consequent scale with a production that respects environment, animals and consumers.
In 2013 we decided to learn about sheepherding in Arantzazu’s Artzai Eskola in the Basque Country. We paused our life in Catalonia and in Basque boundaries we combined studies, cohabitation with a local shepherd’s family and farming trainee in Pikunieta Baserria and visits to diverse projects in the Basque Country and in the French Basque Country. Back in Catalonia we studied cheese making.
In our dairy work, everything we learned in theory about animals is a tool that needs to be adapted to the requirements and the needs of our herd in particular in our particular territory. Meticulous observation and working in detail are the keys of viability.
Visiting different farms allowed us to observe which aspects we would need to consider when projecting our own dairy. There are dairies build inside recycled ship containers. The fact that we chose to build ours on a truck, gives us more independence in relation to its purchase and to the possibility of moving the workroom with the need to contract any external service.
The project’s team is Albert Masó Coll and Yasmin Recht Rasillier, sheep shepherds and artisanal cheesemakers.
Our farm has a stable for the herd and two small stables for the ram and for separating the weaned lamb when it’s necessary. There is also a tent for machinery and another to stock forage. There are two caravans to host friends and collaborators. The truck is the last infrastructure we need.